Image and video hosting by TinyPic

eze, the roster requiring some carving and a degree of

in Gästeecke 16.12.2019 07:14
von sakura698 • Neuling | 825 Beiträge

CLEVELAND -- With seven games still left this month, Jason Kipnis has already surpassed his statistics from last April. Buffalo Sabres Shirts . That wasnt hard to do. "I set the bar so low," he said. Kipnis drove in Nick Swisher from first base with a two-out double in the seventh inning, sending the Cleveland Indians to a 5-3 win over the Kansas City Royals on Wednesday night. Kipnis, who batted just .200 with one homer and four RBIs in the seasons first month in 2013, ripped his double off Kelvin Herrera (0-1) into the gap in right-centre, deep enough to easily score Swisher, who reached on a two-out single. "That was a real big hit," Indians manager Terry Francona said. "Sometimes you need a big hit at a big time and we got it tonight." Kipnis has become big time. After shaking off his horribly slow start last season, he made his first All-Star team, batted .284 and developed into one of the ALs top all-around players. So, when he came up in another clutch situation, it wasnt surprising to any of the Indians that Kipnis came through. Kipnis signed a six-year, $52.5 million contract on opening day and hes wasted no time in living up to the deal. "I think he has less far to climb this year," Francona said. "He really dug himself a hole last year. Hes always a threat, whether its against a left-hander or right-hander. He can hit the ball all over the field or out of the ballpark. He can beat you with his legs. "I dont really look up and see what Kips batting average is, we want him hitting all the time." The Indians tacked on an important insurance run in the eighth on pinch-hitter Lonnie Chisenhalls bloop RBI single. Bryan Shaw (1-0) finished the seventh and got one out in the eighth. Cody Allen retired two, and John Axford worked the ninth for his AL-leading eighth save. Michael Bourn had three hits and two RBIs for the Indians. Bourn, Nick Swisher and Kipnis, Clevelands 1-2-3 hitters, combined for six hits and three RBIs. Salvador Perez and Mike Moustakas hit back-to-back homers in the second for Kansas City. Indians starter Justin Masterson remained winless through five starts. The staffs ace, who turned down a contract extension during spring training, allowed two earned runs and eight hits in 6 1-3 innings. "Ill take as many no-decisions as come as long as were winning," he said. Down 3-2, the Indians tied it in the sixth off lefty starter Jason Vargas when Michael Brantley scored from first on two Kansas City errors. Brantley singled with one out, and broke for second with two down and Yan Gomes batting. As Brantley slid safely into second, the throw from catcher Perez skipped into centre field. Brantley hustled toward third and centre fielder Jarrod Dyson took his eye off the ball, overrunning it and letting the tying run score. "I came in too hard," Dyson said. "I should have come in and played it off the hop because I probably didnt have a shot at him anyway. I have to remind myself to slow the body down. I came in crashing like that. When you have two outs and your pitcher up there doing his thing you kind of have to settle down and not make that mistake." Moustakas gave the Royals a 3-2 lead in the sixth, when an error by second baseman Kipnis helped set up Kansas Citys unearned go-ahead run. Eric Hosmer singled and was safe at second after Kipnis dropped shortstop Asdrubal Cabreras low throw. Hosmer moved to third on a fielders choice and Moustakas delivered his two-out RBI single. Bourn atoned for a baserunning blunder with a two-run triple in the second to tie it 2-2. Perez and Moustakas connected in the second off Masterson. With one out, Perez snapped an 0-for-22 slump with a drive over the centre-field wall for his first homer. Four pitches later, Moustakas made it 2-0 with a liner into the Royals bullpen, the same place he hit a three-run shot on Tuesday in Kansas Citys 8-2 win. NOTES: Sloppy play has been one of Clevelands main problems. The Indians came in tied for the AL lead with 20 errors. "As a team, we have not played very good defence yet," Francona said. "I think we will be better. We need to be better. Were that type of team where when we play clean baseball, we generally give ourselves a chance to win. When you give a team extra outs or extra opportunities, it certainly makes it tougher." ... Indians 3B/DH Carlos Santana is in a 2-for-46 (.043) slide. ... Cleveland relievers have stranded a major league-best 91 per cent (32 of 35) of runners inherited. Buffalo Sabres Gear . In Europe, top teams seem to be largely happy with their squads after spending nearly $1 billion in the off-season. And although English league clubs are unlikely to splash cash in January, Arsenal and Chelsea could be tempted to strengthen their squads with new strikers. Wholesale Sabres Jerseys . The English Football Association had charged the German right back with violent conduct after retrospectively reviewing video evidence of an incident that was missed by match officials at Craven Cottage on Saturday. https://www.cheapsabres.com/ . Rooneys latest piece of football genius lost in the furore which now stalks David Moyes, and the man who gave the Manchester United striker his start as a 16-year old at Goodison Park back in 2002.TORONTO – For the past two weeks, Cody Franson was living the life of a Ryerson Ram. Two-hour skates, five times a week at the Mattamy Athletic Centre on the campus of the university in downtown Toronto. Early on Thursday morning, Franson swung by his temporary training camp home, grabbed his sticks and gear, completed a physical and by 11am had joined his NHL teammates at practice. The 26-year-old agreed to a one-year deal with the Leafs worth $2 million late on Wednesday evening, ending a difficult and lengthy negotiation. "Im glad its done," said a gleeful Franson, following the nearly two-hour on-ice session. "Its a process nobody really wants to go through. Fortunately, we were able to find a common ground and get it done before the regular season started." With his contract status finally settled, Franson will shift his focus toward demonstrating that a terrific sampling in 48 games last season – sixth among NHL defenders in points – was just a harbinger of things to come; prove his viability to the organization with another good year. The Leafs certainly believe in that potential, but want to see it demonstrated over the course of another 82 games. If proved right, theyll happily commit to the B.C. native for the long-term. "The second you get complacent is the second you make a mistake," Franson said of taking the next step. "I learned that firsthand my first year [in Toronto], coming in a little comfortable. I got put in the press box because of it. Ill never make that mistake twice." Franson proved increasingly valuable to the Leafs as the 2013 calendar wore on. A late addition to training camp – following a similarly stunted negotiation that was solved hours after the lockout ended – he started the year with minimal ice-time, drawing about 14 minutes nightly in January, before emerging with upwards of 22 minutes a few months later in April. It was a demonstration which suggested he was capable of becoming a dependable top-4 NHL defender, both in the present and in the future. "When you get people that are developing and [having] more of an impact on your blue-line, you have to credit the player with that," Leafs coach Randy Carlyle said of Franson, who found a partner in Mark Fraser five games into the season. "Hes the one that earned it." Not only did his offensive incline come to the forefront, but he also made adjustments defensively, aligning with the Carlyle way with a more assertive and aggressive defensive lean. "What he did is he committed more to a physical game which allowed him a little bit more space," Carlyle said of the 6-5 defender, adding that Franson, as a right-hand shot, was increasingly valuable on a defence chock-full of lefties. Realizing more of that potential, through continued growth defensively and sustained success offensively, will be the challenge of the coming year. As can often be the case in restricted free agency, Franson was stung by the process, believing that he deserved more than the organization chose to offer in negotiations throughout the summer. But with the cap falling to $64 million this season, he also came to understand that the annual number he sought over a longer term was not going to be realized, thus his insistence on a one-year deal with more to come down the line. The two sides found "middle ground" at the final pressure point (arbitration and the start of training camp flying by with no movementt) when the club moved on the term of the deal – they strongly preferred two years – and Franson budged by accepting an annual number below market value. Stitched Sabres Jerseys. . "I think both sides gave in a little bit," said Leafs assistant general manager Claude Loiselle. By following up on his breakthrough year with more of the same this season, Franson has his sights on a bigger payday next summer – the Leafs have 12 players in a similar boat, their contracts expiring after the coming season – though he will again remain a restricted free agent, albeit with arbitration rights. "One year was important to us," he told TSN.ca via text message early Thursday morning. "With the current cap situation, a two-year deal was very difficult to get at what we felt was fair. "A one-year [deal] was the most reasonable way for us to find a middle ground." Achieving that middle ground was not without its frustrations, both for the player and the organization. Easier said than done is not absorbing the negotiation as a personal afront, something Franson had his trouble with it as the process lingered. Ending his dispute with the Leafs shortly before training camp was due to begin, Nazem Kadri could sympathize with the struggle. "Its hard to [not take it personally] because when youre negotiating your deals, youve got to look at numbers and youve got to have comparisons and sometimes you may not like the comparisons, but the numbers match up," Kadri told TSN.ca. "Its just business really. Thats what Ive learned. I know it can maybe turn into a personal issue, but normally the player is just looking out for whats best for him and the team is looking out for whats best for them. Everyone just wants to make a deal in the end." "At the end of it, you sit back and you look at it and you realize its just business," Franson reflected. "Theyve got a job to do and that is to try and make everything work [under the cap]. I understand that. This is where I want to be. This is my dream place to play. Im hopeful that its a long-term deal coming up after this." For now, with Franson finally locked up, the Leafs find themselves in a cap squeeze, the roster requiring some carving and a degree of sculpting before opening day next week. Almost certainly, they will not be able to carry the roster maximum of 23 players, hurt by the 10-game suspension to David Clarkson and the uncertain status of Frazer McLaren, who could be placed on long-term injured reserve (finger injury) to offer a little wiggle room. "Its still the same situation as if Cody had signed at the beginning of camp," Loiselle said. "Were still evaluating. We still have two games left and well see how it shakes out." Paired with Fraser throughout his first practice – Jake Gardiner remains an option additionally as a partner, the two paired together late in the playoffs – Franson will likely play in both of the remaining exhibition games this weekend, a home and home set with Detroit. Though he enjoyed a brief and albeit unwanted experience at Ryerson, Franson was just pleased to be back in the routine of his NHL life, ready to take the next step forward – both personally and with his team. "I love being here in Toronto," he concluded. "This is where I want to be and thats the main reason why everything happened. Im happy its done and looking forward to getting going." ' ' '

nach oben springen

Besucher

Wir begrüßen unser neuestes Mitglied: bill74
Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 899 Themen und 995 Beiträge.
Besucherrekord: 28 Benutzer (03.08.2021 21:48).

Xobor Ein Xobor Forum
Einfach ein eigenes Forum erstellen